Currywurst is a traditional German fast food dish that is served on it’s own or with a fresh bread roll or chips (french fries). It is one of the most popular dishes during the German Christmas Markets where you have a choice of pork, beef or lamb.
I’ve decided to do a vegan take on this popular dish that is healthy, low in carbs, gluten free and can easily fit into any healthy eating plan but most of all, it’s simply delicious! Meat replacement products were always derived from Soya until a company, Beyond Meat, came along and brought the world plant-based products.
Not only are these products healthy but it’s low in carbs (unlike soya) and high in protein. They offer almost the same amount of protein that you would get from meat. You probably wondering, is this genetically modified? The answer is absolutely not. It is made from the following:
- A variety of plant proteins (Pea, Mung Bean, Faba Bean, Brown Rice).
- Fats (Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil).
- Minerals (Calcium, Iron, Salt, Potassium Chloride).
- Natural flavours (Beet Juice Extract, Apple Extract).
- The tiny bits of carbs come from the use of Potato Starch and Methylcellulose (plant fiber derivative).
Basically, it is all natural and there are no additives. So where is the catch? The price point! Some of their products are available at Woolworths and you can get a pack of 4 vegan sausages for R199.99. I know right…..meat is actually cheaper. However, the health benefits by replacing meat with a plant-based option once in a while may just be worth the splurge.
If you’re wondering what it tastes like, I would say it’s most definitely the best meat replacement I’ve ever eaten. It’s tasty but you will notice the texture is rather soft compared to meat, so you will have to get creative to make it as close to the real deal. That is how and why I created this recipe – so I can enjoy it without really noticing the slight differences and reap the health benefits.
- 1 Beyond Sausage pack
- 1 heaped teaspoon Cape Malay curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 5 Tablespoons tomato sauce (I use the Carb Smart one). If you prefer extra sauce, you can add more tomato sauce.
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- Slice up the sausages.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan and place the sliced up sausages in the pan.
- Sprinkle the salt and spices on the one side and then turn it and sprinkle the spices on the other side. Allow to fry on both sides until it’s crispy.
- Then add your tomato sauce at the end and give it a stir.
You can savour it on it’s own or enjoy it with a fresh roll or a slice of banting or gluten free bread. Comment below once you have tried this recipe or share with us your favourite vegan dish.